Sunday, 22 February 2015

Drawing Pretty Flowers to Cut Out in SCAL or Silhouette Studio DE.

Most people who use SCAL or Silhouette Studio are able to draw basic flowers like daisies. In this video, I show you how to make flowers that are a little more sophisticated but still easily drawn.

Forgive the abrupt start to the video, I went over the time limit by about a minute, so chopped off the start!

EDIT - I realised today that the design file did not export properly to SVG (24 feb)  -  so I have removed it and replaced it with the SCAL file, a linear SVG and a Studio file..  Please let me know if there is a problem with this one. The Studio file will not have the gradient colours but I have coloured in  a couple just so you can see what they are like.

I confess to finding freehand drawing in SCAL a bit of a pain, so I tend to use InkPad on my iPad for that, but there are many ways to draw flowers using the in built shapes in SCAL.  The secret to nicer looking flowers though, is as much about the colouring as the shape.



Now you may like to colour by hand, either by printing the outline, colouring and cutting or colouring after you have cut the shapes, it makes little difference, which method you choose. Just set the colour fill to white and you will get just the outlines.

If you are colouring digitally for a print and cut, you really want to use the gradient fills. It makes all the difference between an OK flower and a lovely one.

I'm feeling generous today, so you can find the file (SCAL) here for the ones in the video and a few more.

Now while I have not shown how to do this in Studio, the process is pretty much the same and if you are familiar with how the software works, you should be able to do it easily enough. If you really want the Studio file, then use the contact window on here and I will send it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment