Friday, 13 March 2015

Derwent WaterColour and Inktense Pencils

I received a package this morning, from Amazon. Makes a change for parcels around here to be for me and not my hubby!


The colour swatches are my own, they don't come in the pack. I had chosen the tin of 36 because I think the colour selection is broad enough to be useful while still being a small enough box to take on holiday or out for the day. I was right in that, I doubt if anyone would really need a wider selection unless they don't ever blend colours.

I have a wide selection of paints, from acrylic, to watercolour inks, to palettes and tubes but I find these types of pencils extremely useful. Not just but largely because of the sheer portability. A sketch pad, a water brush and a set of coloured pencils and I am ready to go. (Oh and some kitchen towel). Much easier to take on flights too.

I've made a quick video .  Not only are these pencils great for artwork but also for crafters whose main interest is not painting. They are easy to use, give a great watercolour look and are wonderful for colouring embellishments, stamped and printed images and adding splashes of colour.

So what is the difference between these and Inktense (also from Derwent?)  Well, the latter forms an ink that becomes permanent when dry, while water colour can still be re wet and manipulated, Inktense can't. Once dry, that's it. Like a permanent marker pen. The colours are, well, more intense!

Also, I think these are a great introduction to painting for children or beginners. Those nasty poster paints we tend to have to use when young are enough to put many off painting for life!  The pencils though, are kind of like a bridge to another world, one that goes from dry to wet. For experimentation they are brilliant, try dry on wet, wet on dry, gradients of colour, colour mixing - all without getting into a mess. For arty children going to Grandparents they are a boon, hours of amusement without pots of colour being spilled on the carpet.

For students, fashion, design, engineering, whatever, they can add colour and depth to projects - without being as costly as marker pens. For would be cartoonists and illustrators, indeed anyone who wants some colour.

If you are in retirement and fancy a new hobby, give them a go, you could find a talent you never knew you had!

No comments:

Post a Comment