Monday, 8 June 2015

Make A Purse

Since I do sew from time to time, I have quite a few scraps of fabric, trims etc. Not big enough to make a garment but too big to throw away. Looking through my stash the other day I was wondering what I could do with any of it.
I'd recently bought a purse/bag frame (simply because I saw one and thought I'd give it a go) and I'd made a bag for a friend but I fancied trying to make a clutch or coin purse. As  luck would have it, I  found a supply of magnetic closures, so ideas were taking shape.

First of all I took some A4 paper and drew a rough template, the sort of shape I thought it would be and folded it up. Having sussed that out, it was a case of using SCAL to make the real thing with accuracy.

All my pieces were cut out on the Silver Bullet, remembering to only score some of the lines on the card.

The purse is made with an outer fabric, backed with stabiliser. A card insert is placed in that, and then a lining goes in. I had some sticky backed flock which was perfect for lining. The stabiliser and the card were stuck on with spray adhesive. It gives a really fine coating, doesn't show and won't come unstuck.  The finer bits of glueing were done with Gem Tac, mostly because I had it but also because I trust it!

TIP When using glues that don't run freely from a good nozzle, I put a small amount onto a piece of scrap card and use a rubber headed brush thingy to apply it. (OK, I have no idea what they are called but I think they are used with oil paints!)  All I know, is that glue has no effect on them, it doesn't get wasted in bristles or ruin them, it just peels off when dry.



So here we go...
I  stuck the card in the centre using spray adhesive. My fabric was already stabilised with embroidery stabiliser, again stuck with spray, turning in an even amount around the edges. You want a fast drying glue.


Time to concertina the sides.


Note, it's best to cut a couple of tiny triangles of lining to stick here, under the rest of it. The lining has to have a small inset and you risk having minute bits of card showing. This works better than making the lining larger. You could weld them to the lining cut file if you are sure about the size and placement...but I didn't because I wasn't! :)


Cut a slit carefully into the backing to allow you to place it down from a centre point.


Rolling the whole thing around a pen works well to make the purse supple.


Turn the sides in one fold only and glue together. Use clips to secure until dry.



Now you can squidge the sides back in.




Almost done....



When I made the next one, I not only put the slits in the pattern for the 14mm catches,


But worked out that I needed to insert the recessed one through the outer fabric and card, under the lining to get a better finish.  (You can't do the same thing with the top closure because of the layers.) That one is hidden under some kind of embellishment.  It is much easier to add the closures while the item is still flat.

This is what they call a 'learning curve'!



This one gets some felt backed bling...


While this one gets a piece from a cheap elastic bracelet that I bought specially for the bits!


And here it is in all it's glory....


I have to say I'm very pleased with the results. If your machine can handle it, you could upsize to make a clutch bag with no extra effort, or alter the shape of the flap.  A strap could be put in under the lining and indeed, it could be topstitched on a machine, while still flat. For a larger bag, the card could be replaced with a piece of flexible table mat for extra strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment