Saturday, 25 July 2015

A bit of This and That!

It really irked me that I was unable to use a clear plastic successfully, to cut stamped sentiments.
Yes, I can use the table mats (see previous posts) but they don't look anything like the purchased stamps, obviously.

I had tried a plastic that is designed as a window film or outside table cloth (not sure what it was intended for) but it came from the hardware store and was bought by the metre.


Very cheap.  Although it cut really well, it was too thin. I tried glueing it together but that didn't work - although it may if you can find the right glue.

Still, yesterday I had a bit of time on my hands and decided to try another tactic. Out came the plastic again, along with two sheets of baking parchment, the ironing board and iron.

I took the protective film off the plastic, then put two pieces on top of each other.
EDIT- I found later that leaving the protective film on the underside only aids the cutting - it acts as a stabiliser. If left on the top however, it causes problems - so you need take care which side you cut from.

Be careful to avoid air bubbles. I smoothed them out as best I could, then sandwiched them between the baking paper.  It must be the non stick type or you could get in a right mess.

I started with a cool iron and worked up to cotton setting, moving all the time and only for about a minute. When it had cooled, the two layers were pretty much stuck together! YAY!

This I found, cut well on the SB, although you do need a sticky mat for it to keep still.  The result was a good clear stamp.  This one would have read 'You're Special', only I lost the 're bit! Still haven't found it. No doubt it will show up when I'm not looking for it.




 I decided that to make them easier to see, (re above!)  I'd use a permanent marker to draw the lines on top.  BTW, I used a fine marker just down the middle. Makes it look good!


The great thing is that they cling naturally to the stamp block too!  I have used tiny clear zip lock bags to stash them in, with the sentiment written on it. (Note to self, next time do not confuse permanent markers with fine liners that are not permanent!)


 Job done.

 As a bonus, I found that if you cut out shapes and used alcohol markers on them, (without the doubling up) you can make your own window clings.  What fun for the school holidays!

EDIT     
In the course of much trial and error, I accidentally stumbled on something useful. (It happens occasionally!)

For those of you into stamping and use acrylic blocks and homemade stamps/ purchased ones.

If you are trying to keep your blocks nice and clean but end up with sticky residue on them from temporary adhesives -

Find some soft plastic - I buy mine by the metre and I'm not sure if it is for windows or for patio furniture as table cloths, but it is soft, thin and comes with a grid backing (transparent and colourless). Cut it to the size of your block and remove the backing film. It will cling to the block - and to acetate or plastic stamps. So,if you have homemade stamps backed with acetate (which needs temp adhesive for adhering to the block) you will no longer get the residue on the block, making it messy for your purchased stamps.

In future, you can make your own stamps and glue them to small pieces of the soft plastic instead. That goes for any plastic multi piece stamps (so you need not mess around getting them placed each time)  or indeed for the ones made out of foam. (The foam will not cling directly to plastic).

Now, regarding embossing, I found I had two items that produce a pretty effect. Both are shelf liners, they just have different patterns. I put these through my Evolution with some card to see what would happen.


And this one



Both of these I had bought thinking I could make stamps with them. Sadly not. The pattern caused a problem even when used flat side down.  I knew I'd find another use for them though!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandra, regarding embossing, if you can get some aluminum fly screen, it embosses very well. So does sandpaper in various grits from 50 to120, so does sanding mesh that plasterers like, and so does "hardware cloth" which is a medium weight galvanized steel square mesh. In Canada it comes in 1/4". 3/8" and 1/2" sizes. Bits of wire twisted into spirals and such really give a crisp imprint as well. Dried plant stalks are good for at least one impression. And of course, card stock and plastic cut on the Silver Bullet work brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete