Monday, 6 July 2015

Embossing Machine - the Evolution Advanced - NOT Sponsored!

Hubby is in my good books. He bought me an Evolution Advanced embossing/die cut machine.

Now, don't get me wrong, hubby would have had no clue as to which one to buy, I just sent him a link. No use throwing hints, hit him with a certainty. Much better results.
Perhaps you are shocked that I even wanted one but hey, I love gadgets as much as the next girl (or in my case, middle aged woman).

The Silver Bullet does a fine job of cutting, so although the machine came with a free set of stack dies, those will largely stay in the box. True, the SB can also emboss but there are some cases where the material is better for having all over pressure applied.

I had done my research. I only wanted a small, compact machine. I don't really want to emboss A4 papers, so that was not an issue.
I didn't want to have to stack loads of plates together.
I didn't want to have to buy embossing folders.
I wanted adjustable rollers.
I didn't want thick acrylic plates that creak and crackle as they are rolled through.

Now one thing that sets the EA over all the competition for some people will be the choice of buying a motor to run it, rather than use a crank handle. Not a problem for me but I understand there may be many crafters who would find this indispensable.

I'm not going to go into much more detail about the actual machine, you can look it up and find the web site. What I will say is that it works, beautifully, quietly, smoothly and does exactly what I want it to do. The only problem I had, was opening the base to get the handle out. My, that was stiff!
When the base is locked down, the suction on it is STRONG. I could probably lift the table top with it.

Now for the interesting bit!

How to use it without buying embossing folders. You need something with some thickness to emboss. However, depending on what you emboss, maybe not much.
One thing to note.
My method was to put my embossing item on the base, cover with paper or card and then add the rubbery mat under  mat B.  If the material is thick enough, the rubber mat may not be necessary, or you may want to use a thinner piece of craft foam or plastic. The answer is experimentation.
AT NO POINT DID I MAKE THE MACHINE STRUGGLE. Quite the opposite, in my tests it seemed I was using a very gentle pressure.
You could also put the rubber mat on the base, add the card then the embossing item then layer B. Your choice, but it works. This one was a thin card frame cut on my SB. The yellow card is heavy card.

I discovered that even really thin acetate stencils would leave an impression. Even tiny cut out shapes you buy (like sequins) work.



 Especially on foil card!



 Lovely! Make patterns with a hot glue gun on a piece of card. Let it dry. Dust with talc and brush off excess. That is so good, it will impress into thick watercolour paper. I have, though, discovered that if you do a glue pattern and then use foil, it sticks. Which may be a result you want....or not! Strange, since the glue had been left for over 24 hrs. If I'd wanted it to stick, it wouldn't have!
Sorry, the photo is not good. Looks better in reality!


But it did give me an idea..
It also makes a great way of using the press on foil, either with writing or having sprayed glue through a stencil...


Like with this gold fish...


Pieces of netting.



Even stamps I have made out of fun foam will work on paper.


The stamps I made out of the  Dora Explorer table mats - dual purpose!




This was on 250 gsm card though.


On kitchen foil scraps





 This is just the beginning. So basically, if you can cut it out, you can emboss with it.  And if you want, you can combine a stamped image with an embossed one.....aaah, the possibilities!

I'll post an update when I have played a bit more!


1 comment:

  1. Wow Sandra, you're having a ball with the new embosser! I really like the fact that it has adjustable rollers.
    Another technique I have found to work well is to use the Silver Bullet with the embossing tool installed to first create whatever fine lines one wants, and then run the result through the Evolution embosser with cut out patterns from the SB, to create larger embossed areas. The combined effect can be quite fetching.

    ReplyDelete