Thursday, 27 August 2015

Embossed Rose Card

I fancied making a simple, classic white on white embossed card.
This is what I came up with.


The card is made with a 'window' cut into it and the embossed image fitted behind. Why do it this way? Well it means that I can do other things with the card base if needs be or use a different backing colour.

I've made a quick video of how the file was designed but as usual forgot to mention one or two things!

First and foremost, once you think you have it right, SIMPLIFY if necessary in SCAL. Sometimes this drastically reduces the nodes.

Secondly, check with the zoom tool to see if any extra nodes are on the inside of the outer cut. I found that there were a few on the right side, oddly, not on the left! They just made little flicks. Use the node edit tool to select single nodes and delete them.


I mention making embossing plates from card to use in my Evolution embosser, and it really does work well. Use scraps of card in your stash or card you don't like! Why waste nice pristine card?

Use temporary spray adhesive on the back of your plate, so it won't move on you. 

I also made a cover from window cling to go on my base plate. Why? So I could mark it up with a centre horizontal and vertical line, to aid placement. Don't know about you but if I stick a plate onto my card to keep it in place, either it doesn't stick or it sticks too well and I damage the card getting it off!


I used window cling because I had it but you could use a piece of graph paper if you have any handy. I don't have any but I think I may get some, just for that!

The design itself is quite versatile, you could do it as an inlay, show the debossed or embossed side, do it in another colour, make it from foiled card (that embosses really well) or even heat emboss the completed image. There is no sentiment because I wanted the focus on the rose. Silver marker was used to colour the frame, I did mask it off to do that for a clean edge. I was lucky to complete it as my pen was going dry on me!

The setting for the Evolution was number 3 - using the latex mat with it and the B plate. The design plate was made with 3 layers of 250gsm card  cut out then glued together - but I could easily have just used two layers.

My thanks goes to the designers of the fonts used, Kalocsai Flowers and Janda Flower Doodles by 
Levi Halmos (No images Fonts)  and  Kimberly Geswein  respectively - both are free for personal use from Dafont.com

No comments:

Post a Comment